Friday, March 6, 2015

My Why: Part 3 of 3

After my lifestyle why and dōTERRA why, this is why I work and concludes My Why. You can find Part 1 here and Part 2 here.

As I spoke in my first post, I am a Christian. I became a SAHM because two children in daycare would have cost us as much as our mortgage. My husband and I threw around the idea I would return to work when the girls were in school. But then God decided we would be blessed with a son. My dream of returning to work went right out the window. 

I struggled with depression again with my 3rd pregnancy. After birth, I realized I was in the midst of postpartum depression. I worried that all my life would be cleaning up messes, doing dishes, cooking meals that wouldn't be consumed, and living a life focused solely on my children. I know being a mom is a rewarding job by itself. However, I felt drawn to something more to raise my children as well as inspire them.

I worried I would turn into one of those Housewives of the Lehigh Valley, where reality shows make bad things look good and gossiping is an art form. "A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends." Proverbs 16:28. I had already started distancing myself from people I found I only gossiped with. It was not because I felt I was better than them, but because I knew needed to focus on the positives in life. When I surrounded myself with people who gossiped, I jumped right in. I hated that. I didn't want to become that and look down on others.

So I opened up the Word. I searched the Bible for scriptures to direct my path. My first search lead me to reading Proverbs 31. I'm sure we all know the Wife of Noble Character. My good friend and godmother to my children would talk with me regarding her torn decision to work out of the home, away from her children. We both felt we were making the wrong decisions so we prayed. 

I like the flexibility to drop everything if my children need me. My husband travels for work, which leaves me as the only parent available to pick up the slack if someone falls sick. My last position allowed me that flexibility with an amazing boss and coworkers. However, the pay didn't allow me to provide for my family. In fact, with 3 children, I would have been paying to work. 

I came to the decision that God wanted me to work again, but as my own boss. Which is what I have with
 dōTERRA. I continue to stress over the importance of working as opposed to being idle. Proverbs 10:4 (HCSB) states, "Idle hands makes one poor, but diligent hands brings riches." And Provers 21:5 says "Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty." I love when my hard work is rewarded. I know that if I don't work, I won't get paid. 

The more I put into my business, the more I get out of it. I don't mean financially either. Yes, the more money I put in, the more I make. But I'm talking about everything else. The more I put into my team members and the friendships, the more I get out of them. My teammates are my best friends now. When they go through good times, we celebrate. When they go through trials, we pray and help one another. We look out for one another. That makes this a purpose for me, for my life.

I leave you to meditate on 2 Thessalonians 3:6-13

Warning Against Idleness
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching[a] you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”
11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat. 13 And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good.

God Bless,
Cristin




No comments:

Post a Comment